Monday, November 9, 2009

Tiles! Tiles! Tiles!



I was approached a few months ago by Madeline Tyler at Pine Crest Elementary School to donate my time to teach during their A.R.T.S. Day, a day where visiting artists come to the school and teach workshops to groups of kids for a day. I enthusiastically agreed to do it as I was fortunate enough to participate in several similar programs when I was in grade school and I think they are important. I also thinks it is important to pay it forward and give back what you can to the community.
I have to say I had an absolute blast. The kids were funny, polite and totally engaged. It's so great to be around that kind of unbridled enthusiasm and creativity!
At various points in my demonstration, as I would show them how to do different textures with the tools and stamps I brought along, gasps of oohs and ahhs would actually roll through the watching group of students. My favorite, though, was when I showed one of my tiles and a boy pronounced it, "Totally sick, man!" A high compliment indeed....


1 comment:

  1. as a retired 2nd grade (plus) teacher, and trainer of aesthetic education programs here (originating in NYC lincoln center) i applaud you and am overjoyed that the students were so enthusiastic, which is no surprise. art is a life line of sorts for them....and clay!! such joy!

    ReplyDelete