Thursday, August 28, 2008

Frida Kahlo at SFMOMA


I always liked Frida Kahlo's work but had no idea of the scope of her life's work before I saw this retrospective at the SFMOMA in San Francisco. 
The work was visceral and raw, filled with  anguished personal meaning. Her powerful imagery and narratives were inspiring. I would love to capture that much emotion in my own work.
I especially enjoyed the dozens of black and white photographs from the artist's private collection, which gave the viewer an intimate glimpse into her life. Many pictures featured her in dusty courtyards with flowers in her hair and monkeys on her shoulder. I had never realized these elements of her self-portraits were not fictional constructs.
This self-portrait with its necklace of thorns and dead bird really resonated with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment